Choosing the best mattress for your sleep style, body and budget needn’t be difficult. It’s not difficult to find the right mattress for you. Mattresses are now far more sophisticated than ever. We know this because we have spent hundreds on research and testing out all of the latest models. This was done by testing them and analyzing feedback from thousands of mattress owners. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
We’ve ranked the top-rated models right here in our best mattress guide, with options to suit all budgets, from cheap to luxury. No matter what your preference is, whether you are looking for a high-quality memory foam mattress that provides pressure relief and cooling or an organic mattress for safe sleep, you will find it here. We expect the best in support and comfort from all of these mattresses. Choosing between them is then a matter of personal taste and budget. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Online purchasing a mattress is simple and often less expensive than buying in store. Many brands provide free shipping and many even offer gifts. In just a few clicks, you can get the best mattress delivered right to your doorstep. If you aren’t satisfied, the company will refund your money and collect the mattress. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Our best tip? Our best tip? And unless you have an urgent need to buy, it’s worth waiting if you can’t find a sale on your top choice right now. There’s always a discount in the mattress industry. To help, we’ve tracked down the latest mattress deals for all our best mattress recommendations below. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Saatva is an eco-conscious company that uses environmentally friendly materials during their mattress. As a green option, Saatva has also cornered the market with free White Glove delivery, further establishing themselves as one of the pre-eminent, direct-to-consumer luxury mattresses.
- Coil-on-coil construction provides better support and more body-contouring than most standard inner springs.
- Multiple thickness and firmness options available.
- Eco-friendly construction features recycled steel, bio-based foams, and cotton at the cover.
- Free full-service delivery, a 120-night sleep trial, flexible warranty, and strong customer support.
- Many individuals claim, that Puffy Mattress is without a doubt, among the most comfortable mattresses available. They frequently compare it to enjoy sleeping on a cloud. Also, customers suffering from back pain, say that they feel relief with Puffy’s Adaptive Flexible Cloud Technology. With Puffy, you get both a 101 night sleep trial, along with a lifetime guarantee.
- Incredible mattress to your money. Very high quality mattress. It does take 2 days before your Puffy Mattress is sent; because the mattress is made to order.
- Puffy’s top layer is CertiPUR-US Accredited , and is made of Cooling Cloud Relief Foam. The Cooling Cloud Relief foam layer is responsible for making you feel as if you’re sleeping on a cloud. The bottom layer is comprised of a Firm Core Support Foam, which is likewise CertiPUR-US Certified.
- Another great mattress choice, is the ever popular DreamCloud mattress. Having a premium natural latex coat, DreamCloud provides a fantastic bounce, and extra contour.
- A few highlights of the mattress apart from the tufting are stitched handles along the side, a cost of $ 1,199 for a queen size and flax yarns and cashmere blend. Normally to get all these features you can expect to spend north of $5,000.
- DreamCloud is a luxury hybrid mattress, offering an whole year sleep trial; versus the normal 100 night trial. New pocket coil technology permits the manufacturing price to be cheaper, and the savings are passed directly to the customer.
- Nectar is probably the most popular and hottest mattress available at the time of this writing. It’s incredible comfort doesn’t leave you disappointed. The support of Nectar is great, and it does not have too much sinkage.
- Many mattress manufacturers have a 10 year guarantee, nevertheless the Nectar has the Forever Warranty.
- Nectar’s top layer is comprised of Quilted Gel Visco Elastic Memory Foam. Additionally, it has a gel memory foam, together with Polyurethane Support Foam.
- While many manufacturers offer a 100 night sleep trial, Nectar provides a 365 night sleep trial.; Nectar offers you a complete year to test theirs.
- The Purple bed mattress is made of hyper-elastic polymer, which differs from numerous other mattresses, typically made from memory foam. The feel of this bed mattress is significantly different than the feel of any other mattress.
- Enables you to sleep cool throughout the night, all while having a really responsive motion transfer.
- Purple mattress comes with a 10 year restricted service warranty.
- The top layer consists of a hyper-elastic polymer gel grid. The bottom layer is comprised of polyurethane foam.
- Idle Sleep sells mattresses online directly to consumers. Idle provides customers with a 18-month-long sleep trial, during which they may test out mattresses risk-free.
- Idle Sleep sells four mattress models: the Idle Gel Foam, the Idle Gel Plush, the Idle Hybrid, and the All Natural Latex.
- Idle Sleep’s flippable bed can be rotated on a regular schedule and has a life expectancy that is far greater than most other models.
- Idle Sleep offers lifetime, non-prorated warranty coverage and free shipping
- A hybrid mattress that is affordable and comfortable.
- GhostBed Flex is a cost-effective hybrid model. It consists of six layers including a quilted over, two layers (of memory foam) and two layers (of polyfoam), as well as a layer of pocketsed coils. It measures 13 inches in thickness and has a firmness rating 6 (medium-firm) on the 10-point firmness scale.
- The GhostBed Flex’s temperature-regulating features start in the cover, which is quilted with cooling fiber to be cool-to-the-touch while allowing ample airflow. Both layers of memory foam used in the comfort system are infused with gel, which helps pull heat away from the sleeper’s body.
- Ghostbed Flex is ideal for couples or those who sleep hot naturally.
- This is the ideal choice for anyone looking for a low-cost hybrid mattress.
- Ghostbed Flex comes with a 25 year limited warranty, and a 101 night sleep trial.
- Nolah’s flagship product, the Signature uses proprietary AirFoam”, along with high density polyfoam for a soft but supportive feel.
- The Signature 12 is a flippable mattress with two different firmness options. Medium-firm on one side, and Medium-soft on the other.
- Fantastic mattress for couples due to its great motion transfer.
- Nolah offers free shipping, and a 120 night sleep trial for their mattresses.
- Sweetnight sells a full range of mattresses and pillows, most of which feature gel memory foam as a main feature.
- The company sells on Amazon, which is a convenient option for people who prefer to shop there. However, the company does not have a full range of sizes available for all of its beds.
- Sweetnight has 5 mattress models to choose from, both memory foam and hybrid.
- Sweetnight offers a 100 night sleep trial, as well as free shipping for all of its mattress models.
- Available in both memory foam and hybrid.You can purchase Sweetnight in a hybrid or memory foam model.
- Awara is a hybrid mattress model, combining innerspring support with a significant comfort system.
- Awara Mattress pairs a 4-inch layer of natural, Rainforest Alliance-certified Dunlop latex with a 9-inch support core of pocketed coils in their latex hybrid.
- The latex is certified by the Rainforest Alliance, meaning it meets criteria on economic, social, and environmental sustainability and impact.
- It is also certified by GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard), which indicates that the latex is organic. The plush Euro top cover is composed of New Zealand wool and organic cotton.
- The Aurora is a hybrid mattress that includes several layers of foam as well as coil springs.
- There are three levels of firmness available for the Aurora: soft, medium and firm.
- The Aurora is currently the best-selling and most affordable mattress on the market.
- These are best suited to back sleepers and hot sleepers.
- The mattress comes with a 120 Night Sleep Trial and a 10-year Warranty.
How to Choose the Best Mattress
Memory foam is an excellent option for anyone who likes to feel “caught” by their mattress. It conforms to your body and provides better pressure relief than springs and excels at absorbing motion. This is why it’s a great choice for couples who share a bed with restless partners. However, it may not be the right choice if you want some bounce to your mattress. An innerspring or a hybrid is more suitable. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
One key feature of memory foam is the fact that you can sink into it, which is what provides the above-average cushioning. The material is dense, and, as with all-foam mattresses, can feel more warm at night than other options. But, the most effective memory foam mattresses now come packed with special cooling materials designed to regulate the temperature of your body while you sleep. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
A mattress made of all foam may not be the best choice in the event that you suffer from excessive heat at night. If you like the comfort of memory foam, there are plenty of ‘cooling’ memory foam mattresses that are worth a try. They range in price between $499 and more than $3000, depending on how you choose to spend your money. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Mattresses made of innerspring
Innerspring mattresses use a coil-based support system that provides comfort and stability. There are many variations in the size, number, and design of coils. In the past, mattresses made of innerspring were made of interconnected coils. However pockets spring mattresses are getting more popular.
These feature individually wrapped coils that sit inside their own fabric pocket and are able to move independently, giving more pressure relief, better comfort, and better motion isolation. The more pocket springs that are in the mattress, the better it can support. You can also use one of the best mattress toppers to instantly add an extra layer of support and comfort. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
The innerspring mattresses are buoyant so you can lay on top of them instead of sinking beneath them. This is a good thing for sleepers who are hot as the body heat won’t be trapped in the mattress, plus the springs allow more air to circulate than dense foam. Innerspring mattresses can also be more buoyant than other foam alternatives and tend to be less expensive.
Hybrids give you the best of both worlds. you benefit from the tailored comfort of memory foam gel or latex and also enjoy the slight bounce and the increased airflow of springs. The coils of hybrid mattresses are typically smaller than traditional mattresses, and you’ll often (but not always) have a thicker memory foam layer.
The majority of top mattresses are hybrid. They’re a flexible option that makes a good choice for couples with differing sleep preferences, and they’re ideal for those who enjoy the comfort of foam.
Latex mattresses are constructed of a tough latex foam made from natural materials instead of synthetic ones (which memory foam mattresses are made of). If you are looking for an organic, durable mattress, then latex is the best mattress material for you.
Mattresses made of latex are less prone to overheat since they’re not nearly as dense as memory foam. Latex has a great bounce and contour. It’s a good choice for those looking to buy mattresses that last. It’s expensive, however. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
What is the right mattress size?
The most effective rule of thumb to consider when selecting the ideal mattress size is to ensure that it’s at minimum 10cm larger than the person sleeping on it. In terms of width, if you share an area of a bed, both you and your partner must be able to place your hands under your head without your elbows touching. If you’re sleeping alone, you’ll have the right size mattress if you can put your hands under your head without touching the edges of the mattress. Therefore, measure the distance and when you pick a mattress that’s wider than the measurement, you’re fine.
Most of the options listed in our top mattress reviews are available in twin twin XL, full queen, king and California King sizes. Split options are also available. They let you choose a different level of mattress firmness for your spouse. There are mattresses with a different firmness level on either side (firm on one side, and soft on the other).
The cost of a mattress is usually dependent on its dimensions and depth. The majority of twin mattresses are around a hundred dollars less than the queen size, while the king and California king sizes average around $200 more than the queen size. The costs for hybrid mattresses, premium and luxurious versions of the mattress tend to be higher than the ones listed for the standard model.
How can I determine the right mattress firmness?
Medium firm is the most popular mattress choice. Most flagship mattresses fall within the range of 5-7 on the scale of firmness (which is 10). Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
But mattresses are also subjective. The firmness and comfort of a mattress is determined by many elements, such as your weight of your body, your height, body shape as well as your sleeping style, temperature and whether or not you feel pain, such as hips or back. So, one person’s experience of an mattress will differ significantly from the experience of someone else; and whether you would prefer a more soft or firmer mattress will be down to your individual taste. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
We employ a variety of customers to evaluate our mattresses and we also read thousands of user reviews. This is important to remember when comparing our ‘firmness gauge’ that ranges from 1 and 10, with 10 being more firm. There may be an item that is slightly firmer than we have found to be.
There is however some general guidelines to help you decide which level of mattress firmness you might be most at ease with… Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Think about your preferred position for sleeping.
Back sleepersMost people benefit from mattresses that are medium-firm. A mattress that is medium-firm offers the best of both the two worlds. It offers a neutral spine alignment, helps support the shoulders and hips without putting too much pressure. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Mattresses that are too soft could cause back sleepers to experience their spine forming an unnatural U-shape. This causes strain. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Side sleepersThey require a good pressure relief for their hips and shoulders and for their body contours to be properly supported.
A medium-to-medium-soft mattress is usually a good choice. If it’s too firm, though it’s not aligning the spine correctly with shoulders and hips.
Memory foam is often the best mattress choice for side sleepers because of its superior contouring properties. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Front sleepersgenerally do better with more firm mattresses. This lifts the hips so they are in alignment with the spine.
It also prevents the spine from creating an U-shape. It’s not recommended to be too stiff, as it can cause discomfort for many individuals, and especially for women.
It’s too soft and you’ll appear to be suffocating. Innerspring and hybrid mattresses can be better over foam for those who sleep on their fronts. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Combination sleepersYou should pick a mattress based on your dominant sleep position (the place you usually lie down in). Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
A mattress that is medium-firm in the event that you don’t have one, will give you the best support for most sleeping positions.
Take into account your body’s weight
Sleepers who weigh less than 130 pounds are less likely to sink into the mattress. They can also be more comfortable on soft mattresses, between 2 & 4 on the scale of firmness. However, a medium-firm mattress could also be a great option.
Between 130 and 230 pounds would be better served on medium or medium-firm mattresses.
Heavier sleepers who weigh above 300lbs are ideally suited to mattresses with a firmer feel, ranging from an 8-10 rating. This will keeps them from sinking down through the various comfort levels. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
Take advantage of the risk-free sleep trial
It can take your body up 3 to 4 weeks to get used to a new bed.
This is especially true if your mattress was not supporting you properly So don’t believe that when you first wake up sore it’s because a new mattress isn’t right – it could be your body getting used to greater support. For this reason, most tests on mattresses require you to wait at least 21 days prior to returning to your previous mattress. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
In addition to how the mattress feels, there’s also a quick trick you can use to determine if the mattress is the right firmness for your needs. Relax and put your hand on the smaller of your back. If there’s a large gap, it’s not firm enough and if there’s not a gap, the mattress is too soft.
What is the best time for a mattress purchase?
Cheap mattress deals are available all year. Nectar, a leading mattress manufacturer, has been offering its best-ever mattress deal for more than a year. However, some months may offer more discounts than others.
In November, Black Friday and CyberMonday mattress deals offer the lowest prices, while Presidents Day mattresses sales are the most popular. The latter is when people slowly start spending again following the January lull, and retailers look to stoke interest with strong offers and prices that are often as low as Black Friday. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
The Memorial Day mattress sales are another key time to buy a new mattress, as retailers look to make way for newer models launching over the summer by discounting older stock. This is a great deal, considering the number of mattresses that are being offered at a discount. However, prices don’t always dip nearly as low. It’s possible to see the same deal advertised – $200 off, perhaps – but the actual price has quietly gone up $100. So while the mattress might still be cheaper than its full price, it would be more affordable if you bought it in November, February, or March. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports
The same applies to the Labor Day and July 4th mattress sales. Although they offer discounts that match other major holidays many of their actual prices aren’t the lowest in the year. They’re generally still good deals though, and worth grabbing if you need a new mattress. Best Mattress For Back Pain Consumer Reports